Try this sweet traditional Chinese Congee – or rice porridge. The refreshing Longan berries + red Jujube dates nourish the body, increasing blood circulation, enhancing brain function, boosting immunity + digestion, and even soothing menstrual symptoms.
Sweet Longan Porridge
- 10 Dried Longan berries
- 10 Jujube dates with pits
- 5 cups Water
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup Rice of choice washed and drained
- Honey to taste / optional
- Start by rinsing your rice in a bowl several times until the water is basically translucent. Set aside.Score your dates by slicing a shallow cut around the circumference of the date. Place in a bowl of water along with the longan berries to soak for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Place clean rice and 5 cups of water in a pot and bring to boil. Once water is in a rapid boil, turn down heat to medium and cook for ten minutes more.
- Strain and stir in your dates and longan berries. Add in one cinnamon stick, reduce heat to low and cover for about 50 minutes — or until rice has broken down and porridge has the consistency of thick oatmeal.
- Plate with a drizzle of honey and mix to your desired taste. Enjoy!